Perceptions change from person to person. Different people perceive different things about the same situation. More than often, we assign different meanings to what we perceive and the meanings might change for a certain person. One might change one’s perspective or simply make things mean something else. [World Trans Accessed 21st February]
Here is an example of a perception that can change depending on the person and what they see -
Some people see a young lady looking away, other see an old lady looking down. Depending on how you look at it, part of the picture might be the young woman’s nose and eyelash, or it might be a wart on the old woman’s nose. What is the young woman’s ear might be the old woman’s eye. What is the young woman’s necklace might be the old woman’s mouth. The picture hasn’t really changed. You just emphasize different parts of it and assign then different meanings.
From my own personal experience, I’ve been in the situation where my initial perception of someone was incorrect. Recently I went for a job interview and as I was waiting for the manager, to me, they looked unorganised, not prepared and unqualified. [Scribd Accessed 21st February]
I felt this as I was kept waiting for fifteen minutes, the manager had lost my paperwork and she seemed too young to be a manager. However, before the interview, she apologised for being late as she was interviewing someone who turned up late and one of the bar staff moved the paperwork. During the interview, the manager seemed very professional, asking me questions and giving me scenario which I had to explain what I would do. Overall, I feel I did jump to conclusions about the manager and my perception of them was wrong. To avoid making this judgement again, I would get to know the person better by talking to them. This would help me to get the right perception about them.
Communication is used as a way to engage with students to get messages delivered.
After reading the article on ‘How to improve staff communication’ I feel 3 ways in which the university can improve communication with the students would be
1- Sending out regular newsletters – This is a good way to keep students informed of what’s going on in the university. It could also include a survey for students to fill out anonymously. This means that students can give their opinion without having to give their name. This means that employees have engagement, the opportunity to give their views and it shows the university are dedicated to keeping students informed.2- Text messaging service – I feel that having a text message service would help improve the communication between the university and the students. As many students don’t check blackboard, or still not receiving emails from lecturers or the university, I feel that if the university had a text messaging service that if a lecture was cancelled or has been moved to another time or room, all students that are in the class would receive a text message. All students have mobile phones so this means that all students are more likely to receive the message.
3- More seminars – By having more seminars, I feel this would also help improve communication. This is as students are able to communicate better with lecturers as classes are smaller than a lecture, so the lecturer can talk to each student as their isn’t many individuals in the class. Students prefer face-to-face communication and having conversations with lecturers instead of communicating through emails. This would help the university and students to improve their communication.
I feel if the university use the above points, it will help improve communication between themselves and the students. This will allow the university, students and lecturers to be able to communicate better and be able to transfer information more easily.
References –
World Trans Online http://www.worldtrans.org/TP/TP1/TP1-9.HTML [Accessed 21st February]
Scribd Online http://www.scribd.com/doc/9664427/Descriptive-Words [Accessed 21st February]

No comments:
Post a Comment