Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Selection

Selection is a process of choosing individuals with the essential qualifications to get the job. It seeks to eliminate individuals that are unqualified for the job. The key to employee selection is to choose those who are most likely to perform their jobs with maximum effectiveness and tent to remain with the organisation.

Most organisations use selection to choose best individual who is more suited for the job. Selectors attempt to match individuals to the job requirements on how they preform. They also need to ensure that the candidate fully understand all aspects of the job so that new recruits are not likely to become disillusioned and leave within a short period of time. (Farmer, M and Yellowley, W).

 Wetherspoons use the selection process to recruit the best possible candidates. They use
-          Short Listing from information on CVs and application forms – All candidates who are looking for a job, are required to apply on the JDWetherspoons website. All applications are then sent to Head Office in Scotland. They look over all application forms and decided the best candidates for the job. Once selected, candidates are then invited for a interview in the chosen pub. The benefits of short listing is that managers can see who has more experience in the job they are applying for, and you can pick the best person you think is more suited for the job. The drawbacks are time consuming, look through each application in detail and some information may not be correct.
-          Interviews –Interviews are part of their selection process so the managers can see the person, their personality and get to know them a bit before giving them the job. There are a number of different questions asked. Once the interview has finished, the candidate is then asked to attend a training day to see how they get on. The benefits of using interviews are the interviewer can probe deeper into a answer given by an interviewee, interviews product a high response rate and if the candidate lacks reading skills to answer questionnaires. The drawbacks are it can be very time consuming, the interviewer may be biased and ask closed questions.
-          Role Play on training Day – At the training day, managers ask each candidate to role play out a situation which may happen in the pub. Once the training day has finished, managers then have to decide on whether to give the candidate the job or not.  Benefits of role play are it provides opportunity to practice skills, introduces problem situation dramatically and provides the opportunity for students to appreciate other’s points. The drawbacks are some students may be too self-conscious, some students may feel threatened and it isn’t appropriate for large groups.
[JDWetherspoons Online Accessed 10th May]

I recently applied for a job at JDWetherspoons, working as a bar assistant and a waitress. I applied on the internet, and attached my CV so head office could see my qualifications, my interests and hobbies, my previous work experiences and a personal statement about me. I was then contacted by the manager of The Bell, asking if I would attend a interview the following day. I was warmly acknowledged by the manager and team leader. I completed the interview with the manager who offered me the job then. I was pleased to accept and I am still currently working for them.
I feel the interview was effective as I was able to get information about how the pub is run and get to know the manager. I also got to talk to the team leader and another staff member who was happy to meet.  

I feel that I would change the way in which candidates are selected as I feel that the organisation aren’t giving all applicants the opportunity to attempt for the job. It does however, save money and time as not all managers have the time to interview all applicants. I feel that JDWetherspoons have a good selection process and have successfully chosen all the right applicants for the job.


References -

Farmer, M and Yellowley, W (2009) People and Organisation. 2nd ed. Essex:  Pearson Education Limited.

JD Wetherspoons http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/ [Accessed 10th May 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment