Performance management is an on-going process where the managers and employee work together to plan, monitor and review an employee’s work’s objectives or goals and overall contribution to the organisation. It starts with a work plan that identifies for the employee what is to be accomplished and how. The plan is followed up with informal, on-going monitoring and feedback on their progress towards the goals in the set plan. At the end of the performance year, the manager and employee meet to summarise the accomplishments of the year.
The purpose of performance management include
- Organisation Effectiveness – ensure that work plans of the employee are directed towards or support the strategic direction of the organisation. Motivating employees to do their best.
- Performance Improvement – Establish clear communication between the manager and the employee about what they have accomplished. Also to provide on-going, constructive feedback on performance and to identify area of poor performance. The managers could also provide plans for improving performance, if necessary.
- Identification of Strengths –To identify the skills and abilities of each employee so that work assignments build on and reflect an employee’s strengths. Also to identify an individual employee for more challenging work.
- Training and Development – Assist and support staff in achieving their work and career goals by identifying training needs and development opportunities.
- Administrative Decisions – Support decision-making about promotion, terminations, compensation and rewards.
[At Work Online Accessed 10th May]
I currently work for JDWetherspoons as a bar assistant and waitress. I was working as a waitress one evening when we had a booking of twelve people. I took their order, took their drinks over, and brought all their food out and deserts on my own. I managed to complete this task as I had training before-hand. I manager was very pleased with my hard work and praised my good work. Because of this, my mangers arranged a appraisal with me to record my performance and my developing needs. It was an opportunity for my managers to view my work content, and look back on what I deal with in a regular basis during my shifts. I feel it was very effective as I got to talk to my managers about my work and ask them any questions that I had. The outputs where that my hard work has been recognised and I was rewarded with a bonus. My managers and team leaders all praised me and gave me more responsibilities.
I feel a good mentor needs to be –
- Honest – A good mentor will maintain the highest integrity. Information should be given without hype or embellishment. Honesty equal credibility.
- Commitment – Good mentors recognise that hey have a responsibility and vested interest in the success of other and will be committed to providing support, guidance and the right tools to help the person achieve success.
- Encouragement – A mentor will provide encouragement and confidence to others in order to help them move past their doubts and fears to accomplish their goals.
- Accountability – Mentors can provide guidance and support in the accountability to help the person stay on track and maintain focus. They share ideas, provides opportunities and issues challenges for learning that the person may have not seen or recognised.
- Constructive Criticism – A mentor must provide criticism in a caring and honest way that is not demeaning. At the same time, a mentor cannot be too proud to learn from others experiences or feel intimidated by their questions.
I feel that being a good mentor does not require any special skills. They are people who have the qualities to be a good role model to others.
While I was at school, I had a mentor who helped me whenever I needed it. We had meeting every Tuesday morning to go through my work for the previous week and what I had achieved. They monitored my progress through my last year at school and helped me to balance my school work with my personal life. I feel if I hadn’t of had my mentor, I wouldn’t of been able to balance my school work with my social life and I would have struggled with my work. Having a mentor helped me to pass all my GCSE’s and I have taken on board all our meetings we had and I still use the advice I was given to help balance out my work at university with my social life.
References –
At Work Online http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003898&passed_lang=EN [Accessed 10th May]
April Williams Online http://aprilwilliamsonline.com/what-makes-a-good-mentor/ [Accessed 10th May]
No comments:
Post a Comment